Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Traveling

Everybody's traveling.  It blows my mind the number of miles we put behind us.  My 3 month old will soon make his 5th trip from KC to Chicago, 500 miles.  The sad fact is that won't impress some people.  We are all travelers. We travel for the holidays and for family.  We travel for vacation, to get away, and then to come home when we've been away too long.  Even those that hate it still travel.  We say we are forced to do it.  Forced by what though? Why are we all really traveling?  We claim many reasons.   But are we really forced?

Jonathon Edwards, the puritan pastor, would have a problem with my statement.  He would say we are not forced to do anything.  We choose it.  We choose to see family, visit friends, reprioritize our lives to our own new expectations of ourselves.  We choose our own tortures and then choose when we complain about them.  He would say there is only one will at function in my life, and it cannot be divided.  It is the choice that I make and nothing else. I wonder if in all this traveling I should not sit back and wonder who I'm traveling for.  If it's my choice, what kind of a choice is it?  Why do we travel?  What does it tell me about my will and myself?  What does it reveal about my values?  Why am I traveling? Why are you traveling?

No comments:

Post a Comment