Friday, January 7, 2011

Up and Running

I have a car that won't start.  Actually I jump started it this morning for about the 5th time, and now its been running ever since.  I don't know if I'm brave enough to go out and stop the thing.  If it won't start I'll be stuck here at church. Everybody that comes in is asking whose car is running though.

I wonder if this says something about faith.  I don't know anything about the battery...really.  I don't even know if there is something else wrong or if its just the battery or both.  You non-mechanics our there will know what I'm talking about.  But I have no faith to stop my car engine.  I have no faith in my car.

"Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." (Heb 11:1)  This passage leads into the story of who God is.  It tells us the history of how God has acted in the world and the history of how the faithful have trusted in God.  I guess the real truth is that I cannot hope in my car.  It has let me down.  I can take my chances, but hope has no assurance.  The question for me now  is, have I ever trusted God like I'm about to trust my car.  Have I ever "turned off the engine." Do I have faith in Him to come through.  Do I have hope and conviction that he can start something in me that I cannot?

I'm gonna go turn off the engine now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment